I love a dinner I can whip up in minutes, but that tastes delicious, and this dish certainly hits the nail on the head. Ready in just 15 minutes and using only six ingredients this is such a simple dish and goes down a treat every time – especially post workout.
There’s something really comforting about the spice of the paprika chorizo, the soft floury potatoes, and a runny egg. If you get the egg just right, you get a lovely oozing yolk when you cut into it – perfect for dipping chunks of new potato and chorizo in. Yum.
I used to really struggle with poached eggs, whipping the water up like a tornado because I’d seen a chef do it on TV. You don’t need those silly plastic egg poachers, and you definitely don’t need to drop your eggs into a swirl of water with perfect timing. The trick to a perfect poached egg is simple….
A splash of vinegar in the water.
Bring the water to the boil, turn the heat off and then crack the eggs in while it’s still slightly bubbling. The vinegar helps the eggs keep their shape, giving you perfectly oval poached eggs. White on the outside, runny and gooey in the middle.
Serves 2, but easily halved or mulitplied.
1/2 tbsp oil (coconut, sunflower or rapeseed)
250g baby new potatoes
1/3 of a chorizo ring
Handful cherry tomatoes
– Chop the new potatoes into bite-size pieces and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until soft
– Slice the chorizo into bite-size pieces
– Halve the cherry tomatoes
– Heat the oil in a frying pan
– Drain the potatoes and add to the oil with the chorizo and cherry tomatoes. Fry until the paprika from the chorizo stains the oil and the potatoes start to brown
– Meanwhile, poach the two eggs in water for 3 minutes
– Stir the parsley through the potato mixture and serve on two plates topped with the poached egg
– Serve with curly kale fried in butter, or greens of your choice